If you are one of those busy adults, it might be hard to find time to exercise. Living in Nashville, housekeeping and exercise may be difficult to balance alongside our immediate needs like cooking and cleaning. It is discovered that some chores are good for your health, but not all chores are created equal. Exercise deserves a place in your weekly routine, whether it’s walking, running, lifting weights, or hitting a spin class. In order to maintain a healthy lifestyle, adults should engage in at least 150 minutes of moderate physical activity each week which might include regular house cleaning practices. Split up your time in ways that work for you to make it more accessible. You might decide to walk for 30 minutes during your lunch break every day, or you might choose to work out more intensely for two days. What matters is that you do something!
By moving regularly, being the own house cleaner of your space, you’ll surely feel better, sleep better, and even live longer. Here are a few benefits of an active 150-minute day:
- Improved sleep
- Reduced symptoms of anxiety and depression
- Improved concentration and learning skills
- Maintain or lose weight
- Reduced risk of cardiovascular disease and some types of cancer
- Stronger bones, especially in menopausal women
- Longer lifespan
Does Cleaning Count as Exercise?
House cleaning can be included in your weekly exercise schedule if those perks sound appealing to you! It is becoming increasingly evident that even short periods of physical activity, such as house cleaning, can improve your fitness. Utilizing housekeeping services and practices as exercise relies heavily on intensity. Moving quickly and getting your heart rate up are important; you might want to set a timer and focus on moving constantly for the entire time you’ve allotted for cleaning.
The following are some ways you can turn your cleaning into a low-intensity workout:
- Remove the cleaner caddy. Leave all your cleaning supplies in one central location in the house instead of bringing them all with you and returning often to get what you need. It’s even better if you have to go up and down the stairs several times!
- Music with a fast tempo is good. The beat will get you moving while you clean. Dance is also an excellent exercise throughout your cleaning session!
- Don’t be afraid to move around a lot. Whenever you move, be intentional and, if you are comfortable, hold the position. As you vacuum, feel your body extend forward and practice your balance; then, pull the vacuum back and tense those abs!
- Handle heavy laundry baskets. Fold heavy loads of laundry in the rooms you’re delivering them to if you’re comfortable doing so. You could even lift the basket and set it back down several times to simulate lifting weights at the gym! But be aware of your body and your capabilities. Make sure you support yourself with your legs when lifting to reduce your risk of back injury.
Is house cleaning an exercise? Well, it’s better than sitting still. Nashville Housekeeping Services says the average cleaning task burns roughly four times as many calories as simply sitting on the couch. Depending on how intense you are and how to fit you are, you will burn more calories doing some cleaning activities than others.
House cleaning shouldn’t be the only thing you do to exercise. Researchers found that women who do only a little walking and cleaning are out of shape and more likely to be overweight than those who regularly walk for exercise. Even if you’re just trying to get moving again, you can include a more vigorous style of Nashville house cleaning as part of your weekly exercise routine, but remember to also incorporate your favorite regular exercise routine or other activities that raise your heart rate sufficiently to make you sweat. Stay within your limits and consult a doctor before starting any exercise program.
Discover a new sport and let us take care of the cleaning
If the biggest obstacle between you and your fitness goals is time, Maggy Maid of Nashville can help. Take the family on a bike ride, go on a hike, try a new sport, or go to the gym. Depending on your needs and goals, we can create a cleaning plan. We’ll customize it to suit your busy schedule, so you can spend more time doing what you enjoy. We’ll help you get your Nashville housekeeping requests done. Feel free to connect with us and request a quotation!